Ice Wine Festival
2020 Ice Wine Festival
Stay tuned for more future events! In the mean time, here is a copy of our recipe for our Blue Cheese Mac N Chz that was featured at this year’s Ice Wine Festival-
Blue Cheese & Caramelized Onion Mac ‘N Cheese Recipe
A delicious adult mac ‘n cheese recipe made with blue cheese, you’ll be going back for bite after bite. Pairs perfectly with ice wine.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ pint (8 oz, 1 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 ¾ cups extra sharp cheddar (I like to use white cheddar), shredded
- 10 oz blue cheese, chopped/crumbled, and divided
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook cavatappi pasta (I like to use these spirally noodles because they sop up the cheese) according to package instructions and strain and leave the pasta in a colander while you make the sauce.
- Slice the onion and put in a pan on medium high heat with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Stir occasionally so make sure the onion cooks down but doesn’t burn.
- Preheat oven to 400
- In the same pot used to cook the pasta that is now empty, melt the butter and as soon as it is almost melted add in ½ pint of heavy whipping cream. Whisking occasionally and let the butter and cream come to a slow boil, add the flour and garlic salt in and whisk until combined.
- Next add the milk, and whisking occasionally let the milk come to a boil (about 3-5 minutes). As soon as you start seeing bubbles (the mixture will rise in the pot a little) add the shredded cheddar and while whisking occasionally the cheddar will melt and then you’ll add 5 oz of the blue cheese crumbles (1/2 of the blue cheese) and let it melt. Turn the heat off. Add the cooked pasta and the caramelized onions back into the sauce pot and stir the pasta to coat it with sauce.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and spoon sauced pasta into it, sprinkle remaining blue cheese on top of the pasta and sprinkle Italian bread crumbs on top. Lightly run a spoon through the topping to push some of the cheese and bread crumbs down.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.